A strong, innovative force in semiconductors
ASML provides chipmakers with everything they need - hardware, software and services - to mass produce patterns on silicon. The company’s key technology is its lithography system, which brings together high-tech hardware and advanced software to control the chip manufacturing process. The company is at the forefront of innovation in the semiconductor manufacturing market. By building machines that can create ever smaller patterns for chips, ASML enables progress in fields such as healthcare, energy and mobility. Such enabling technologies fit well with the innovation for sustainability theme.
Impact investment rationale
- ASML has a strong track record and is frontrunner in innovation in the semiconductor manufacturing market.
- The company has strong environmental and social programs, which include its supply chain.
- The company aims to use 100% renewable energy by 2020.
- The company has a product stewardship code which aims to make its equipment more environmentally friendly, but also contributes to extending its useful life (measured in decades).
- The company is considered to be a leader on social issues by Sustainability Accounting Standards Board.
ASML contributes to the following UN Sustainable Development Goals:
Innovation for Sustainability
Sustainable innovation is a process where sustainability considerations are integrated into company systems from idea generation through to research and development (R&D) and commercialisation. This applies to products, services and technologies, as well as new business and organisation models. Different innovation levels exist. From small improvements and complete redesigns of existing products to the design of new products, services and complete systems.
We invest in companies that are front-runners in sustainable innovation and technology including cybersecurity, telecommunications, robotics and information technology.
Download our whitepaper to learn more about our seven transition themes.
Explore our Impact Equities and Bonds impact report ‘Moving the needle’ to find out more about our role as impact investor. The report presents our 2019 results in a context of numbers and stories and showcases our mission to make money work for positive change.