On its way to becoming a B-Corp
Danone is a French food multinational. The company has four main businesses: essential dairy and plant-based products, waters, early life nutrition and medical nutrition. Products are sold in over 120 markets, but its main markets for sale are the US, France, China, Russia, Indonesia, UK, Argentina, Mexico, Spain and Germany.
Danone aims to meet the growing demand for natural, nutritious and environmentally friendly products as well as the needs of flexitarians. As such, the company contributes to our transition theme sustainable food and agriculture.
Impact investment rationale
- Danone is an industry leader implementing sustainable agriculture practices
- The company provides healthy food products such as nutritious dairy and plant-based dairy alternatives (through the acquisition of WhiteWave Foods).
- Danone thrives to continuously improve the nutritional quality of their products and constantly designs and promotes healthier alternatives based on in-depth knowledge of local food cultures, food habits and public health challenges
- Danone aims for 100% B-Corp certification; several divisions of Danone already acquired B-Corp certification.
- Danone has a strong animal welfare programme in place
Danone contributes to the following UN Sustainable Development Goals:
Sustainable Food and Agriculture
Sustainable food and agriculture refers to an agricultural system that can meet societies food and other agricultural product needs in the present without comprising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. As with conventional farming soil management, crop management, water management, disease/pest management and waste management are the key components. However, the methods used are radically different; they must be ecologically and socially sustainable.
We invest in companies that preserve soil, water systems, nature and biodiversity, and those that promote sustainable food and healthy diets.
Download our whitepaper to learn more about our seven transition themes.
Explore our Impact Equities and Bonds Impact Report to find out more about our role as impact investor. The report presents our 2018 results in a context of number and stories and showcases our mission to make money work for positive change.