Kurita Water Industries

Nakano, Japanwww.kurita.co.jp/english/
Invested through
  • Triodos Pioneer Impact Fund
  • Triodos Multi Impact Fund
  • Triodos Impact Strategy Fund - Defensive
  • Triodos Impact Strategy Fund - Balanced
  • Triodos Impact Strategy Fund - Offensive
  • Triodos Impact Strategy Fund - Dynamic
Asset ClassesListed equity
Impact strategyImpact Equities and Bonds
ISIN codeJP3270000007
Industry groupCapital Goods
Aligned with SDGs

Kurita Water Industries Ltd. manufactures, sells, and maintains water treatment equipment and systems. The Water Treatment Facilities division generates 57% of revenues and is engaged in manufacturing and selling of water treatment facilities, ultrapure water supply, soil and groundwater remediation, tool cleaning, water quality analysis and environmental analysis. The other 43% of revenues comes from the Water Treatment Chemicals division that manufactures and sells chemicals and other materials that are needed to operate the water treatment facilities. 61% of total revenues are from Japan, 20% from Asia, 11% from North America and 8% from the rest of the world. Customers from the electronics and semiconductor industries generate 60% of total revenues, 34% of revenues are from other industries and water utilities in Japan, and 6% of revenues comes from soil and groundwater remediation. 20% of revenues comes the ultrapure water supply business where Kurita cleans and recycles water on-site with the customer. Kurita Water was founded in 1949 as a boiler water treatment company. The company is headquartered in Osaka, Japan, and employs around 7,000 people.

Investment rationale

Water scarcity is an increasing problem. Access to clean and safe water is important for people, but also for companies.

Through its products and services Kurita contributes to responsible water use in many different areas. The company helps water utilities to provide clean and safe drinking water to the public, and with wastewater treatment and reclamation. Kurita also helps companies in industries that use a lot of water to clean or treat used water so that the same water can be re-used instead of using fresh tap water. Furthermore, the company is active in soil and groundwater remediation to prevent contamination of groundwaters and keep the ecological environment safe.

By offering a wide range of products and services across many different industries Kurita Water has accumulated strong knowledge and experience in water treatment processes and systems.